Hawaii Trash Trail
Walking along the main highway on the Big Island to pick up trash, raise awareness, and promote people to make better trash disposal choices
This idea is not solely intended to pick up trash and clean the Belt Road on the Big Island, but to raise awareness so people that see the walk taking place think twice about littering and polluting their environment. Hawaii is an incredibly beautiful, indigenous, unique place that attracts and relies on millions of tourists every year, but pollution is continuously ruining the water and land of the islands. Anyone would think that seeing pollution would prompt people not to add to it, but instead it seems to give people the idea that it is okay since it’s already there, when it isn’t. Also, we can meet with other organizations along the way, so they can take the journey with us and help to spread the awareness even further. The purpose of this trip is for a group of high school students and their advisor to protect the environment by cleaning up existing pollution and to raise awareness to promote better waste management for a better, cleaner tomorrow.
If a group of students from Hawaii see that it’s an issue and can dedicate multiple hours a day for several days to walking and picking up trash, then hopefully it will make people put in extra effort to not pollute the land. The impact that this journey would make could be astounding. This project will spread awareness into different communities and all throughout the island, and we hope to continue later on other islands.
- Walking for 5-8 hours a day until the group walks the entire highway
- Cleaning and picking up trash along the way
- Maintain and update social networks before and during the journey so people can keep up with our progress and possibly join in
- Stay in hotels/motels along the highway at the end of each day
- Fly from Oahu to Big Island
- Walk everywhere….
- Staying at hotels along the way, wherever we finish every day (determined when trip duration/walking rate is figured)
- Buy food along the way or buy it before the trip and make at hotel
-Dedication to walk to entire highway (126 miles) and the ability to walk it.
- Durable and comfortable shoes and clothes to walk in
- Sun screen..
- HERO club of Kaiser High School on Oahu was created to do things that make a difference in our community and the world
- To show that anyone can make a difference if they try, no matter how old they are or where they live
- Our society knows that pollution is a definite problem in the world, but sometimes people just don’t care enough to make a bigger effort towards solving the problem.
- A minimal effort from one person can make and incredibly big difference and any community. Pollution is every ones problem, but stopping it starts with one person and one, simple, timeless act of changing it.
- “Never believe that a few caring people can’t change the world. For, indeed, that’s all who ever have.”